In an attempt to solve the sluggish response and 'scroll of death' in courses with very many files, there is now a choice of Copy from HiLearn options:
- Just copy files
- Just copy files (using file titles)
- Build compact course
- Build expanded course
In addition, the course can optionally first be Reset.
Build expanded course builds the course page, including all directories and files, as in the past. (Or rebuilds it, if Reset is selected.)
Just copy files just copies the files to the Files area, as in the past.
Both options preserve the HiLearn filenames.
(Filenames are what you see in the Moodle course Files area.)
Build compact course builds the course page, including only directories. (Or rebuilds it, if Reset is selected.)
Just copy files (using file titles) just copies the files to the Files area. However, both options also:
- Change the Moodle filenames to the HiLearn file titles
(The HiLearn file titles are what you see in the expanded course page .)
- Preserve the HiLearn file ordering
- Preserve the HiLearn file visibility
As a consequence, the Display a directory resource is much more informative and useful.
In fact, the compact course, together with its Display a directory resources, shows exactly the same information as the expanded course.
Caveat 1: The Moodle filename is actually changed to the HiLearn file title plus HiLearn filename extension. The Display a directory resource is configured not to show file extensions.
Caveat 2: In the expanded course, the Resources listing now shows the HiLearn file descriptions. (It didn't in the past and no-one complained.)
Following are the new features that were implemented in the Files area (and that are used by the Display a directory resource):
- Filenames can now include any characters whatsoever. Characters that are not usually allowed in filenames are converted to Unicode variants.
- Files can now be ordered alphabetically, numerically or manually
- Files and directories can be hidden (in addition to being restricted to course participants or authenticated users).
In addition, there is a new option in the Display a directory settings: